From The Ground - Up!
What if I told you that your search for that skin-boosting ingredient has been under your nose this whole time? What if I said you probably walked by, over, through it... probably thousands of times? Have you thought of it yet?
Let me give you some hints:
- It grows towards the light
- It is composed of 90% water
- It provides you lean proteins
While shopping for certain skincare products some of us may look for particular phrases that indicate natural compounds. These labels, such as, organic & natural may ring a bell.
More than ever before, companies are incorporating natural, plant-based ingredients into their ingredient list, and I don't blame them! This superfood has made its way into the skincare market and it has the same topical benefits as it does through diet. Natural ingredients can do wonders for our skin. This is because mushrooms are a super-hydrating ingredient that pull moisture back into the skin, enhance elasticity and aid in natural collagen production.
Mushrooms are becoming increasingly popular due to their versatility and powerful health benefits. What are the benefits of having mushroom ingredients in your skin-care products?
They are rich in Vitamin D, selenium, and antioxidants that protect your skin. As a result, they are now active ingredients in topical creams, serums, and facial preparations, as the extracts are considered to be potent antioxidants and natural moisturizers.
Specifically, mushrooms function by:
- Increasing Skin Hydration! --> mushrooms contain a polysaccharide, which is a molecule that allows for intense hydration, allowing skin to become plump and smooth.
- Treat Acne! --> mushrooms are high in Vitamin D which assists in healing acne lesions.
- Treat Skin Conditions! --> the natural compounds found in mushrooms promote healing and reduce inflammation.
The main ingredient in our products, star of the show, is our Phellinus Linteus Mushroom, AKA- Sang-Hwang Mushroom. This mushroom has been used by pharmaceutical companies in Korea and Japan when developing anti-cancer drugs and extensive research has been done on its medicinal properties. It has no toxic effect on normal cells and improves immune function to activate detoxification!
Targeting a vast number of skincare concerns, the Sang-Hwang mushroom moisturizes and revitalizes tired, dry skin. In addition, it enhances skin absorption and relieves the damage caused by environmental aggressors.
Did you know?
Facts about Sang-Hwang Mushroom:
- Research shows it has effective anticancer effects in laboratory studies- the mushroom contains anti-inflammatory and antitumor properties.
- Has stunning anti-aging and antimicrobial properties
- Research papers from Harvard and the National Research Cancer Center in Tokyo, Japan, shows that it inhibits tumor growth by 96.7%.
- Eliminates free radicals - which is a catalyst in aging- and decelerates aging.
Mushroom Extract in Skincare and Cosmetics:
Bioactive extracts from Phellinus Linteus are sometimes added to skincare and cosmetic formulations in order to alleviate dermatological irritation and/or inflammation (yes please!)
“These mushrooms are good for hydration levels; by supporting the skin’s protective barrier you are boosting the skin’s ability to keep moisture in and shut intruders out, which creates a healthy and resilient complexion.”
Bioactive extracts from Phellinus Linteus are added to skincare and cosmetic formulations in order to alleviate dermatological irritation and/or inflammation. If you have dry or irritated skin? No problem, this mushroom extract has all the compounds to increase hydration and soothe damaged skin.
♥ Holds immunomodulating effects
♥ Holds anti-oxidants & fights against free radicals
♥ Holds antibacterial properties
Phellinus Linteus is yellow, bitter-tasting mushroom & grows on mulberry trees! It is also commonly mixed with other medical mushrooms such as Reishi and Maitake.
How Does It Work?
After reading about the beneficial effects this mushroom provides, I looked further to see what exact compounds this mushroom holds that can produce such effects. Well, according to all the scientific literature, it is a Polysaccharide- protein complex that has immunomodulating, antiangiogenic, and antioxidant inhibition effects.
- Specifically, the presence of Beta D-Glucan and Lectin, which are two polysaccharide-protein complexes, have control over our immune system.
- Hispidin is an antioxidant that clears the body from free radicals
This mushroom has been around for hundreds of years. In Korea, the mushroom is made into a tea that is consumed on a daily basis. It has significant health benefits and has been used to treat diarrhea, hemorrhage, cancers, and other ailments.
As mentioned, you will see more products that offer organic & natural ingredients. Yes, this seems to be the latest trend but it is nothing new! For example, Cleopatra used black cumin seed oil as a beauty treatment. This method of treating & maintaining skin health has been around for a while and for a good reason. Botanically infused skin care can help keep our complexion looking its best, by reducing redness & fighting against pigmentation and signs of aging.